Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Simple Pleasures. 1991.


She was a frail little old lady, down the A-side hallway of the acute medical floor. Making my first rounds on a crazy-busy unit, I entered her room to greet her and perform her first assessment for my evening shift. Is there anything I can get for you? "Please honey, if I could just have one slice of dry toast I would be so grateful (said in her frail little old lady voice). I've asked several people today and everyone was so busy. If I could just have a piece of toast I would be so happy."
Just a simple gesture to bring some joy to her day. She was so grateful for that little piece of dry toast. I still think of her occasionally.

1 comment:

Terrie's Lil' Piece of Serenity said...

Awe..That was sweet! I sure hope you brought her a piece of toast.

I can't wait to see pictures of your garden. How is your daughter/my niece ?
I've been praying for her.
Luv Ya! Terrie

It's Not About You (and other legal mumbo jumbo)

Hmm. It appears that most nursing or medical blogs have some sort of disclaimer. Apparently there is a need for such a thing, so here is mine:

1. Tis not about you. Any similarities to real people are purely coincidental.
2. No medical advice given here. Call your personal healthcare provider for health advice.